Maturity equals Revenue

RickEngland

Maturity equals Revenue

Postby RickEngland » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:47 am

It's fair to say that many compet deed holders are worried the game might not be making money, since MA delayed the div payouot again. I even read on facebook people saying yeah but it only had 60K downloads from one site (that made me smile as there's like 'what' 3K active players in EU? based on tracker).

However I've been playing Compet before beta, so here's my thoughts regarding revenue.

My goal was to see how far I could go without paying one cent. I almost deposited for limited edition pet a few months ago, but I found the whole deposit system a pain. It's in Swedish when the system directs me to a dibs deposit webpage. Compet doesn't have a transfer centre like in EU.

Anyway I'm at the level now that upgrading anything such as buildings or abilities are 800K coins+ to1500K coins and the values will grow. It's almost impossible to collect that amount of coins before being raided. I got raided over the weekend and lost 250K coins.

So if I want to continue, it's more than likely at some point I'll have to accept paying to either protect, or buy coins to 'help' do those upgrades. So that suggests to me the game will really start to move forward as the player base matures.

The only big downside is players "mentally" accepting huge coin losses (collected free), when being raided. I know a few people that can't handle the struggle so they give up. However once you get into the mindset of raiding to win much of what you lost back and get diamonds as well for winning, it's not so painful.

Give the game time to mature. Good luck

Rick
struggler

Re: Maturity equals Revenue

Postby struggler » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:38 pm

RickEngland wrote:It's fair to say that many compet deed holders are worried the game might not be making money, since MA delayed the div payouot again. I even read on facebook people saying yeah but it only had 60K downloads from one site (that made me smile as there's like 'what' 3K active players in EU? based on tracker).

However I've been playing Compet before beta, so here's my thoughts regarding revenue.

My goal was to see how far I could go without paying one cent. I almost deposited for limited edition pet a few months ago, but I found the whole deposit system a pain. It's in Swedish when the system directs me to a dibs deposit webpage. Compet doesn't have a transfer centre like in EU.

Anyway I'm at the level now that upgrading anything such as buildings or abilities are 800K coins+ to1500K coins and the values will grow. It's almost impossible to collect that amount of coins before being raided. I got raided over the weekend and lost 250K coins.

So if I want to continue, it's more than likely at some point I'll have to accept paying to either protect, or buy coins to 'help' do those upgrades. So that suggests to me the game will really start to move forward as the player base matures.

The only big downside is players "mentally" accepting huge coin losses (collected free), when being raided. I know a few people that can't handle the struggle so they give up. However once you get into the mindset of raiding to win much of what you lost back and get diamonds as well for winning, it's not so painful.

Give the game time to mature. Good luck

Rick

Hi Rick,

I envy your optimism.

Is the 60k downloads the number of times an install was downloaded? I had to update Compet about 20 times. If you divide 60k by 20 that's about 3k players. Seems about right to me.

As for depositers, EU forces you to deposit because you cannot play there without money. This game can be played and enjoyed while not depositing a single cent. Of course micropayments is a huge success in many cases but you are telling me that the depositing procedure/method is very troublesome. I have no idea, it never occured to me to depo.

Most investors are not angry because they did not see a dime from the game yet but because of the lack of info and the fact that it was announced that payouts will start happening monthly with the first due at the beginning of January and nothing happened.

I have no idea how many people are developing Compet but I have a friend who works in the game dev industry and when I told him about Compet he was astonished and said that there can't be more than a 3-4 dev team behind it.

Again, I believe that investors would be fine with the delays if they were treated fairly and were provided information. The complete silence on the forums and broken promises drive people away. I managed to sell all my deeds two days ago and I am withdrawing all my money. Maybe I am making a huge mistake and the game will be a huge success but I am driven by principle. If I feel like I am not treated fairly I grab my boots and I'm on my way out.

I wish everyone good luck and hope that your patience will yield their well earned rewards. Mine has ran out.

Best Regards,
Struggler
RickEngland

Postby RickEngland » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:26 pm

Thanks for reply.

I'm optimistic I guess because I've witnessed huge improvements. It was really buggy just after beta, but we'd have to admit the forest fights run really smooth now. Not to mention the addins.

Sure before the game was made I was hoping for mortal combat style of game. Like your pet could be picked up and slammed into the floor visually etc...lol. Maybe for a app the game might be too big for that, who knows (I'm not a software/computer guy).

Plus we always knew Ma expected 20% paying players, with most playing for free. Depends how far you want to progress, although MA have mentioned tournaments. Now assuming they make the tournaments so that skilled pets "matter", people wont be constantly 'only' creating level 4 pets to win in the Arena. That means players will feel "forced" to upgrade to get the levels needed for those tournaments. You can't upgrade your pets without upgrading your buildings.

I see a few positive things:

1) It's a huge plus MA have EU. In the worst case MA can make EU pet battles run through compet if this game fails to grow on a standalone basis. So MA won't let it fail, they will tap into EU.

2) It will always be visually pretty, Ma love art over anything else. I had to stop myself laughing there, but truth is that's why the art will be better than what's under the hood. If they get the under the hood stuff right, then it's game on.

3) it's still in it's infancy, MA love to tinker and grow EU, so I can never see them ever saying "it's finished". So as tablets and phones get more powerful so will the Compet. Unlike other games that earn their money and then die, I can see this going for many years. It's almost as if MA see if as their baby to be nurtured, they might like our money but I'm sure they love their games....smiles.

4) I actually like that much of it is free, EU is not exactly cheap to play. I'd say we've got more chance of a player sticking with compet than EU. Plus the overhead must be ton less to run compet.

Let's not forget there's still ton's more to come in the library, and probably loads more levels to add to the forest. Give it two years we'll look back and say wow look how far it's come.

I hope by then, MA add in fun features. Like taking your pet around a 3d challenging maze, attacking pets along the way. The future is as good as developers imaginations and the kit we can run it on. Maybe even an extending village.

Maybe they might even add a private forest where we the players can buy forest levels and play for ped, loads can be done.

Chin up, it's going to be awesome.

Rick
nickpap

Postby nickpap » Fri May 19, 2017 1:36 pm

I am an investor in the game and in another platforms and I envy your optimism. I havent sold my compet deeds because I have not bought many however from what I can see in this game is a dissapointed player base and investors... I think you are too optimistic I dont think this game has much prospect. Anyway time will pass and we will see how it goes.
Sinister

Postby Sinister » Fri May 19, 2017 3:58 pm

I'm all for anything that draws revenue to the game as long as it leads to a deed payout. Arkadia Undergroud deeds only pay out because EU players participate in the gold rush and mining in the underground area so if there's no reason for Compet players to pump in peds then it won't pay out, it's simple math. I made mention before about in game adds "Pay per click" and videos "Pay per vid watched" but of course no official response. The two previously mentioned systems are the #1 way to collect revenue from free to play players on phone apps and require minimal effort to incorporate. I've tried the alternatives on my own releases like purchase the game before play, in game purchases and pay to unlock full game but those three options rarely pay out because nobody wants to pay for a free game.

I've also said before that the only thing that gives VALUE to Compet is the PED factor "A proprietary currency that allows the user to gamble legally or invest in intellectual properties for a residual payout.". However there is minimal functionality in game for the majority of your time leveling "If you can get past the repetitive game play and assets" so you really don't need to spend any ped to progress. Personally I feel that the game is not captivating enough for me to pump peds into it. The visuals are repetitive, I level for free and there are NEVER any arena matches available for some reason.

Agreeing with Struggler's friend the current project could have been published by one person in less than a year especially using Unity's asset store where most of the source code and visual assets can be found cheap or free in some cases to save time. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/

Observations to make the game better:

Make the skill icons update as you level the skill. Staring at the same buttons for the duration of your experience gives you the feeling of stagnation. When the audience visually sees the icon change and not just the stats they get a feeling of accomplishment. Minimal effort and more captivating.

The town should have started small and areas should have needed to be unlocked growing the town as you level. The same size world from the start of the game gives zero depth and after you create the limited number of buildings it's easy to loose interest. Candy crush works because you keep on the move and you are immersed into an ever evolving world.

There's really no back story to any of the pets or game play, so players don't empathize with with any of the characters. "Didn't you learn that in college? I was taught how to write a story and make the reader empathize with our hero before they ever let me touch a polygon." Once again candy crush as an example, as you progress a really weird story unfolds with simple sprite based interludes that keeps the player engaged. Compet just has you fight random pets that you only empathize with because it's a cute panda for currency items that you get for free anyway....
Lies and deceit are all I hear.

Return to “General Discussion”