Newsletter August 2017

RickEngland

Newsletter August 2017

Postby RickEngland » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:00 pm

MA issued the news update today via email as follows:

Trinket and Strongboxes release
We are at the final stages of polishing the Strongbox and Trinket systems before release. The systems have been delayed slightly due to the vast impact we believe they will have on the game, and our desire for them to be balanced, bug-free and enjoyable on launch.
The upcoming release will feature four different Strongboxes. Three of them can be earned by completing Daily Missions in the Arena and one Strongbox which will be available for purchase in the shop. We will then study what effect these systems have on the game and listen to your feedback before we add two more premium Strongboxes at a later stage.

Tutorial and new player experience changes
We have put a lot of effort into making the tutorial and new player experience as smooth as possible. There are no more drawn out dialogues and new players are no longer forced to do things in any specific order. While there is a path we want new players to take, they are now free to explore different areas of ComPet before moving on to the next part of the tutorial. The new tutorial will also put more focus on the Arena. We believe these changes will greatly increase new players’ enjoyment of ComPet.
Another integral part in the new player experience is the introduction of New Player Tasks. These will reward new players for trying out and learning about different elements of the game, without forcing them through a linear, deterministic tutorial.

Marketing

With the changes we have made to the new player experience and with the addition of the Strongbox system, we believe that retention and monetization can increase significantly. Marketing of ComPet will therefore resume shortly after the upcoming release. Our new marketing campaigns will be in line with the design changes we’ve made to the game, which means they will focus more ComPet’s competitive PvP Arena experience.
RickEngland

Re: Newsletter August 2017

Postby RickEngland » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:22 pm

My thoughts:

I'm just pleased we finally heard some news after the delay to the July newsletter that was cancelled, and I'm looking forward to the update.

I've always felt for the Arena to be really successful MA need to have backup automated pets that can recognise there's lack of players at pet levels, and fill those gaps. If their AI is good enough, we wouldn't know anyway. Plus it adds an excitement factor wondering if we're battling AI or a real player.

Added to that they could add special bonus pets, that we "hope" to seek out in the Arena. It would attract players.

Let's see what system brings I guess, test it and comment later.

Rick
aush

Postby aush » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:43 pm

RickEngland wrote:I've always felt for the Arena to be really successful MA need to have backup automated pets that can recognise there's lack of players at pet levels, and fill those gaps.

If you feel like there's not enough pets of your level in the arena you can always just create a second account and play against it *cough* like some players in top 10 do *cough*

RickEngland wrote:If their AI is good enough, we wouldn't know anyway. Plus it adds an excitement factor wondering if we're battling AI or a real player.

Sometimes I get this feeling that I'm already playing against AI (and pretty stupid one). It's good if they really decide to focus on the new player experience, because atm the game does very little to explain things, and in some cases even railroads you in a wrong direction.
RickEngland

Postby RickEngland » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:28 pm

aush wrote: If you feel like there's not enough pets of your level in the arena you can always just create a second account and play against it *cough* like some players in top 10 do *cough*

Sometimes I get this feeling that I'm already playing against AI (and pretty stupid one). It's good if they really decide to focus on the new player experience, because atm the game does very little to explain things, and in some cases even railroads you in a wrong direction.

LOL....I really can't be bothered having more than one account, but I hear ya. That and use the rain (stamina penalty) as extra ability trick. Which is part of the reason mostly only level 5 pets fight.

I sometimes wonder if the Arena automated handicapping is somewhat overdone, and if we should just load our pets up with HP and allow the system to give us wins (when it chooses too). Makes me laugh sometimes when a pet with 4% crit chance has more crits than my pet with 4x the chance of crit (than them). But hey-ho the system is trying to share wins.....then take a "I owe you a win approach". If you can put losses due to bad handicapping behind you, and believe the system will give you that owed win....all is cool.

No news on revenue payout plans....but expected that.
No news on regarding if mythical pets (ultra rares etc) are getting their special abilities as "suggested".....kind of expected that until the trinkets were here.
No news on links to EU....kind of expected that too...until the trinkets are done.
No news on token pets, and what that means....which is a shame. Because I would buy level 15's to upgrade (at the right price).

I do worry for the Arena. MA are forcing it down the road and praying it works by bribing with rewards. There's still the issue if people want to play with ped in PVP. Maybe that's the only way to win strongboxes who knows.

I'm totally happy to play people with gold coins, there's fundamental in-built thing in some of our heads about playing people for money. Amercian's might go for it, like playing pool for money. Brits tend to play for sport....you know what I mean?

So I just hope ped forest will materialise at some point....or something else to keep us in game that can be paid fun.

I'm hanging with it, as I like pets and battles. Doesn't mean to say "all" the game is for me. I just hope they can fit the game around what lots of people like rather than the few. Cover all bases so to speak.

Hopefully the update brings more. I can't honestly believe Ma have just done the tutorial and trinkets. They love to tweak stuff, it's in Ma's blood. Maybe more library, new buildings, more abilities.

We will see. In ultra chatty mood, since it's been so dead in forum.

Rick
kludge

Postby kludge » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:17 am

At least there's an update coming... maybe I'll be able to play again.
It will not run on the two computers I've been playing on since the last update.
(I tried uninstalling completely more than a few times.)
Maybe if I get a new Dell gaming laptop :>
Send friend request to do arena battles :o
Kludge-362131
Post in this thread and get friends for battles :>
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19430
matthew

Postby matthew » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:19 pm

I'm not sure why this newsletter was delayed...

Still it seems promising, I am more optimistic about the idea with every newsletter/update :lol:.

Probably the biggest monetisation opportunity would be to make pets in EU more useful and then use the app as a training centre for them.

Perhaps people could pay other people via the app to battle and skill their pets with MA and us taking a cut. It would be cool to be able to "walk" pets by having the app running in our pockets and get skills for that.

Unless the idea is that pets in EU will have more functionality on the app rather than in the universe, this could also be a cool idea. I always assumed MA would introduce things like pet battles in the universe but given this function now exists on the app it might not be necessary to add it to the universe (assuming the EU related apps become an extension of the universe). Or perhaps some hybrid system might be possible (i'm thinking being able to meet up and watch compet battles on big screens inside EU).

I feel MA have missed a lot of opportunities like this in the past and hope they pick up on these things now. Get those big screens rolling :D
RickEngland

Postby RickEngland » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:03 pm

matthew wrote:I'm not sure why this newsletter was delayed...

Still it seems promising, I am more optimistic about the idea with every newsletter/update :lol:.

Probably the biggest monetisation opportunity would be to make pets in EU more useful and then use the app as a training centre for them.

Perhaps people could pay other people via the app to battle and skill their pets with MA and us taking a cut. It would be cool to be able to "walk" pets by having the app running in our pockets and get skills for that.

Unless the idea is that pets in EU will have more functionality on the app rather than in the universe, this could also be a cool idea. I always assumed MA would introduce things like pet battles in the universe but given this function now exists on the app it might not be necessary to add it to the universe (assuming the EU related apps become an extension of the universe). Or perhaps some hybrid system might be possible (i'm thinking being able to meet up and watch compet battles on big screens inside EU).

I feel MA have missed a lot of opportunities like this in the past and hope they pick up on these things now. Get those big screens rolling :D

Take a peek at this.

This includes an image of when MA originally sold stables in EU back in 2014.
I don't own a stable or have a share in one by the way.

http://www.entropiauniverse.com/news/20 ... states.xml

The idea I guess at the time was EU pet battles would happen at stables. 3 years on there's no EU pet battles yet and neither do the stables have auction, or options to open up more pet abilities as originally envisaged.

Maybe the stables sold too cheap, maybe MA had a change of heart, maybe Compet changed their plans.
Many of the pet buffs were quickly out-classed with ring or other buffs. Quite a few of the stables stopped selling buffs. Many of us feel there's still much promised that's not delivered yet.

To be honest when a lot of the investors bought into Compet we had little idea of what MA had planned, other than battling pets. They sold an "idea", but how that impacted EU or linked with it was still a dream.

I hoped it would be mini EU type game with pets instead of people, but it turned out to be a turned based game. I still think MA can have a good mix of the two. I often think about the village 3D environment, and think a lot more interaction could happen for an environment like that. Seems a waste otherwise. Maybe one day we get to branch out of our village....who knows.

MA (Mindark) have said there will be a connection to EU at some point, "a link between both games" even mentioned token pets for upgrading Compet pets.

It would appear to me, that MA want to see the impact of every change they make in both games regarding pets, and then rewrite their plans. They will get there eventually.

The key thing is we're moving down the road, we might be on a push bike rather than a sports car, but at least we're moving along....hahha...smiles.

Rick
Sinister

Postby Sinister » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:39 pm

"They will get there eventually" Unfortunately too little too late in most cases. You don't recover from lying to customers and loosing the majority of your player base with bs news letters and minimal effort. Most people were interested in Compet for the deed payouts and they seriously screwed the pooch on that one imo. Next projected deed payout in 2018?
matthew

Postby matthew » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks for the link Rick, I had completely forgotten about the stables and this article. It is a shame MA has (apparently) forgotten about them as well :lol: .

I guess long term EU players know there is a huge difference between what MA sells you and what you eventually get (if anything) and when in the future you might eventually get it. However I do agree this mentality has seriously harmed the RCE aspect of EU in recent years.

Return to “General Discussion”