inititiative

Alukat

inititiative

Postby Alukat » Tue May 09, 2017 10:46 am

I fought some arena battles against the same person.
I had higher initiative chance (66% vs. 33%) , yet the other person had initiative more often....

how does initiative work? appearently it doesn't go by chance.
Droops

Re: inititiative

Postby Droops » Tue May 09, 2017 2:17 pm

19 Arena battles to be exact ;)
3 different Pets. Kismet, Rabbit and Nanook.
Can you be more specific pls.

I dont focus at all atm on initiative interesting though and maybe others can shed some light on this.

I do focus on points :mrgreen: out of those 19 Arena fights i won 18 who gave me 19 points.
You won 1 minus 1 point here.
At the start of our fights you where ranked 452 and after those 19 fights your rank is 426.
RickEngland

Postby RickEngland » Tue May 09, 2017 7:50 pm

I've noticed in raids that the system would 'appear' to favour one side, which makes sense really if you've taken heavy losses previously (maybe it tries to balance it out, or add in an opportunity for one side to regain ground).

I've had fights where I've used quick attack which is supposed to increase initiative, yet the system refused to give any for the entire fight.

I've also noticed if I'm raided and lost few times on the trot, my chances of winning the next two are improved. Thing is assuming a balancing factor exists , everyone benefits from it at some point. If it comes at the right or wrong time for you, is another matter.

Actually it can be quite fun changing strategy mid-fight, when it's obvious the system is trying to protect an opponent. Funny stuff.

Rick
Alukat

Postby Alukat » Wed May 10, 2017 5:52 am

Droops wrote:19 Arena battles to be exact ;)
3 different Pets. Kismet, Rabbit and Nanook.
Can you be more specific pls.

at all 3, if you click the picture of pet during battle you can see initiative chance, crit chance, mana regen and resist chance.

I think the initiative is extra rounds, like getting 2 turns in a row. So it feels a little off, that you always got 2 attack rounds first and more often than i did, even with me having way higher initiative chance.
At one of your pets, it was even me having 71% initiative and you 29% , yet you still got it first lol.
miles

Postby miles » Wed May 10, 2017 3:43 pm

The chance of having the initiative in any round is dictated by the percentage without regard to previous rounds. So yes, you can have a losing streak even when the odds favor you. If you have low ferocity Quick Attack may not even get you to a 50/50 chance.

I pay a lot of attention to my likelihood of having initiative because it affects my skill setup as well as skill usage in combat, and nothing makes be talk back to the game more than getting "screwed" on the initiative with 80% chance at the final round. Then I remind myself that I lose that bet 2 out of 10 times, and I can lose that bet repeatedly in the short term even as I know it will favor me in the long run.

It appears being stunned overrides the odds and prevents you from gaining initiative - and that seems a totally reasonable outcome of being stunned - but I have not confirmed this yet.

I run into players who are hot - but sometimes I am that player who is hot - I suspect we are reading too much meaning into chance events.

Peace, Miles aka Stanley
Alukat

Postby Alukat » Wed May 10, 2017 4:59 pm

miles wrote:Then I remind myself that I lose that bet 2 out of 10 times, and I can lose that bet repeatedly in the short term even as I know it will favor me in the long run.

the chance for loosing the 80% chance
10 times in a row: ~0,00001%
20 times in a row: ~0,0000000001%

highly unlikely ;)
miles

Postby miles » Thu May 11, 2017 2:09 am

But the odds for each round don't change based on the previous result - you presume the results of former affects the outcome of the later - just not so.

And I made no 10 in a row claim - that was you. All I said was that the 80/20 bet was a good one, (getting initiative for the decisive round) even if I loose. And when I feel "robbed", I remember that the loss is not that unlikely of an outcome - a simple five-to-one shot.

Peace, Miles
Alukat

Postby Alukat » Thu May 11, 2017 6:26 am

miles wrote:But the odds for each round don't change based on the previous result

you got that right.

miles wrote:you presume the results of former affects the outcome of the later

no i didn't, i just told you what the odds for not getting initiative once in a 10 iniative rolls streak for 80% initiative chance are.

miles wrote:And I made no 10 in a row claim - that was you.

you said, that you could lose that bet repeatedly, which means at some point you hit the 10 & 20 no-initiative in row streak, i was pointing out that something like that is highly unlikely to occur.

miles wrote:All I said was that the 80/20 bet was a good one

Yes it is, however, when 20 one gets it twice as often as you with your 80 chance, then there's something wrong, don't you think? Simply because in average you should get it 4 times as often the 20 chance person.
Dorin

Postby Dorin » Fri May 12, 2017 6:46 am

Not only if u have like 70%+ chances of initiative your enemy pet will strike first more often, also he can score more crits than you, do more damage than you, i.ve been fighting so many times with pets that have no chance of winning, yet they beat me coz the system fails as the game is a fail.
You can have 70% chances of initiative and use quick attack and still they have initiative next round.
You can have 40% chances of crit and do 6 dmg on Claw with a lev10 pet aswell, also they can have 5% crit chance and do crit and a total of 40dmg. It sux and is very frustrating.
That's why ferocity pets most of the time are useless.
You don.t need good strategies in this game, u need luck, and that.s sad...

Return to “Gameplay Discussion”