4 days of playing - ComPet from a noob perspective

SandySteve

4 days of playing - ComPet from a noob perspective

Postby SandySteve » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:57 am

Hi! This is probably going to sound a little harsh, so let me start off by saying that I have no doubt you're a talented team of programmers and designers. Artwork is great, and the game has an incredible potential! Even in it's... well, broken state, I still love it. Give yourself a pat on the shoulder, and do your best to not take what I've written below personal! All feedback is towards the game itself, not the ideas behind, or the people behind. Just the game, in it's current state, viewed from a noob's perspective. Here goes...:

1. Daily Missions - why Arena? It's the only part of the game where we can play competitively against each other, yet we get ridiculous, tedious tasks aimed at arena, where we're supposed to do stuff we might not have built pets for. Add the fact that you rarely even find anyone to play arena against and you have yourself 100% frustation, 0% fun. This was possibly designed to fill arena with players daily, but it's definitely the wrong way. Either go "Deal 500 damage in Arena", "Win 5 arena fights" and other generic quests that doesn't dictate how we should play, or make daily missions outside of the arena and find another way to get people to queue up in Arena. For me, just the fun and the occasional diamond drop is enough, but obviously not for that many others. (or maybe I’m just playing at off-times). I'm 4 days in and I already have people PMing about helping them with their missions. And I don't blame them, to be honest.

2. In other games, even when a season lasts 7 days, the ladder is basically dead until the last 1-2 days when everyone try to climb. Here a season seem to last for an entire month, and the arena seems completely dead throughout the entire day. Why a whole month? Can’t you significantly lower the prize pool, and have it reset weekly or something? And maybe use ”Events/tournaments” for the whole idea of getting people to play for real money. (which you need a completely balanced game for. Have anyone ever played a 100% balanced online PvP game before?). Obiously MindArk definitely is behind this particular idea, and... Well, I'll stop there. Let's just say I'm not too impressed by that idea.

3. Anyway, back to arena activity; I guess I’m gonna get the answer ”Well, queue up more pets that are on different levels for a higher chance of getting matched up!”. No. Unless I have them built the way I want to with trinkets, I refuse to take them into arena, since they all affect my overall rating. Why aren’t the rankings pet individual? This would motivate a lot more players to play a lot more, as well as play different pets at different levels. I wouldn’t mind queuing up my crappy level 6 without trinkets, if I knew it was just that pet’s ranking that got affected by most likely losing. But I refuse to lose 20 points because I brought a level 6 ”to-become-food” Panda into Arena. This will create other problems, where people abuse different level spectrums to get easy wins to shoot up in arena ranking for the rewards, but at least people are fighting.

4. Pet Rarity – the fact that rarity is only for the swag means you’re losing out on a lot possible content. I imagine you’ve put a lot of time and effort into designing both the pets and The Forest. But in the end, it’s just a skin on the skills I desire? I couldn’t care less about the skin of my pets, and while I’m possibly in the minority – you’re losing out on a LOT of possible content for players like me. Make me care! You put so much time and effort into it, it isn’t fair to yourselves that I don’t care about them!

5. Trinkets - maybe we're getting more diamonds when arena gets more active? but right now it takes roughly 14 days to get 1 purple trinket (and maxed), and the result of the trinket is random. It could be an undesired trinket. I don't think I'm alone in being a competitive person who sees trinkets as purples only, as anything below instantly puts you at a possible disadvantage. So about 1 month just for enough trinkets to MAYBE use 1 more pet. To promote pet adversity as well as allowing new metas to evolve we need a wide range of trinkets available to us. Give us the opportunity to try new things out. This can be iffy since I understand you can get some lucky diamonds in arena, and if you get a busy arena day, as well as lucky drops when you’re winning, diamond drops can be very unpredictable. If that’s the problem, remove that chance from arena, and give us more (but more predictable) diamonds somewhere else. I saw you guys posting in Feedback about skill balancing. But how are we supposed to give you feedback, if we don’t get a good platform to try different builds out? I’m a week in, and I still don’t have 4 purple trinkets maxed out, and that is with most beginner tasks finished. It’s gonna take me like another month, but most likely 2 months, before I can build 1 more pet, putting me at a whooping 2 pets.

If trinkets is where you want to hook the P2P-players, maybe make a trinket stat "rerollable" with some kind of new item, e.g. I can reroll a stamina damage for a new purple stat. Honestly though, just getting more trinkets would be enough for me to go P2P, but not in the game's current state. I've contemplated getting the 4k diamond pack, but it takes more to get me convinced it's worth it.

Generous freemium games CAN be succesful. I played Summoner’s War for like 8-12 hours / day for a whole year as a F2P. I progressed to top 1-2% in pvp arena, with teams for all end-game content and got into a top guild. Even though I could’ve continued as a F2P, I ended up dropping 300$ on that game, just because it gave me so much without ever asking for anything. Most of the top grossing freemium games are the same.
I’m not gonna spend money on a game that seems to be completely dead, because no F2Ps stay. It’s harsh, but most F2Ps are there for the P2Ps to beat. You need them to fill the arena queue, and keep your P2Ps happy.

6. Arena meta, abilities and trinkets:

DISCLAIMER: I’ve only arenad up to pet level 14. Also, (as always, and as everything else) this is just my personal opinion.

The current arena meta is frankly ridiculous. I’ve tried going for a high ferocity, ”High risk-high reward” build just to see if it’s possible to abuse the fact that everyone just queues up high HP, high endurance, 6 heal ability pets. I mean, they never attack, so it should be safe to just go all-in offense and come out with a victory every now and then right? Well, turns out it doesn't.

First of all, why on earth does endurance protect against crits? Nothing should protect against crits. In fact, you should get crit rate from somewhere else than attributes. That’s not the main problem though. The main problem is the fact that NOT ONLY does it protect against high ferocity builds, it also gives you like double the amount of turns to just sit around and heal and wait until the opponent dies from exhaustion. You’re never put on the clock.

Secondly: Going high ferocity is, like I said, a high risk – high reward type of build. It’s exciting, and it’s difficult, as I need to constantly adapt to buffs, debuffs, my own and the opponents cooldowns as well as find the right skill sequence to max out my DPS. I need to calculate several turns ahead to evaluate what to do, to make sure I do as much damage as I possibly can, with the mana pool available as well as my expected turns before death. If it’s an opponent I faced previously, I can suspect their kit, even though I often face opponents that change their skill sets to adapt to me. It’s a fun, exciting way to play.

However, going with the Healbot(High hp, high endurance) build is just ”No risk – high reward”. Win condition is simple: outlast your opponent.

But what if the lesser heal only rolls a 13 out of the 13-26, or the cure rolls a 15 out of the 15-30??? It doesn’t, because it’s just a flat 26 and a flat 30. It always max rolls, so there’s literally no risk, or any type of calulcations needed there. Slap on the lick wounds buff and heal away buddy. Meanwhile, I miss a crit on ONE of my Claw attacks and roll low, or I miss the initative one times too many, and the fight is basically over for me.

”But Steve, it’s because you’re misplaying! Just bodyslam that heal buff, duh!”. First of all, it’s not always the right decision in a burst type of build. It CAN be. But not always. Secondly: What the hell do I do when they realize I have body slam, and first goes Battle Cry? Not only do they debuff my damage, they also get a protection buff for their heal buff, putting me in an even worse spot. Now I have to decide whether it’s worth a 50/50 chance to strip that heal debuff, being on the clock, while also basically spending a turn doing almost no damage. And I can't burst them down in 2 turns that they're spending not healing, regardless of how well I've set myself up.

I can dish out like 250-300+ damage per fight at level 14, and still lose a majority of the fights to opponents that attacks me like once or twice. Spending a turn doing like 6-8 damage (body slam) is just admitting defeat for me, most of the time even if strip the right buff. I need to average about 40 damage per turn at my current level, to beat a healbot.

And here's where it gets really frustrating: You don’t even need to invest any points into an offensive stat, since the abilities don’t scale with anything else than coins + time. It doesn’t really matter to a healbot, as it’s not part of their win condition, but rolling a 30-45 claw/ambush/mana bomb is just an added bonus for the bravery of adding it on top of their 7 defensive abilities. Like I said though, not that they need it. They’re likely to win from just healing anyway, but they do put me out of my misery a few turns earlier at least.

And don’t even get me started on Buff Damage. I don’t have a trinket with it myself, so I don’t know how it works. But when a level 14 pet with like 250 HP, high endurance mana bombs me for 35 and gets another 20-25 damage from their trinkets, chunking down like 60-75% of my HP, something's really wrong.

”But Steve, you built your pet wrong. Ferocity sucks, that's why you're losing. You gotta get some heals in there, and defensive buffs, and endurance!!!”. Thanks, I know. I’d like that to change to get us a slight chance to beat this meta with something else than another healbot with slightly higher endurance.

Suggestions:

- Rework crit rate. Maybe make another stat for crit, make ferocity improve direct damage on the abilities, and take away the crit defense from endurance. Their crit defense is their high hp and their kit of defensive buffs and heals. Maybe you could add an ability with a buff that halves the chance of getting crit or something, to balance that, if you feel it’s needed (it's not).

- Make heals more unpredicatable (like basically ALL damage abilities)! No guaranteed values. There should be an equal risk of being the turtle, as there is of being the aggressor.

- 5 different levels per ability? It kind of feels like "you've" put yourself in a spot where it's even more impossible to balance the game perfectly, right? I'd scrap ability levels altogether, make them scale differently with different pet stats, and have the library have a different function. Yes, I understand we're supposed to want to spend gems to speed up research there, but you've given yourself like... what is it.. 150-200 abilities to balance in a pet level span of 1-30? I can't think of a single good solution to mitigate the fact that there will always be some build at some level that can always abuse the system. Have the pets learn the abilities in the library or something instead. And then have the library level upgrades increase learning speed + pet slots. Or improve the abilities in some other fashion (like a small %) than completely changing them level-by-level.

7. For new accounts: Locking content behind arena based progression and then not having any AI in arena to take you to level 4 is an incredibly bad idea, that has to be fixed like right now. It took me (what felt like) hours before I found enough fights to unlock the forest. You're probably losing a lot of players before they even unlock The Forest. I thought the game was either broken or dead when I wasn’t able to find any opponents after I beat the newbie AIs that there are tasks for. I tried re-queuing, I tried restarting, I tried everything. Now I realize there just wasn’t anyone in queue, but that’s hard to understand when you just started out.

8. When you remove quests, please put a 2 diamond sign on the "Generate" button or get a confirm pop-up there. I keep wasting crystals on accidentally generating new quests because I'm used to the "negative" option being on the left. Obviously not blaming the game because it’s my fault, but it would still be handy if you could add something like that to help stupid players like me.

9. There seems to be a bug with pets that are either of the same name, or the same kind. When I queue up my main Chirin in arena, I can’t change anything with my ”food chirin” that I’m just leveling outside of the arena because I expect I need to feed some more pets when I reach either level 15 or 20.

10. I only wrote this wall of text, because I actually LIKE the potential this game has. So again, pat yourself on the back, because I would never have stayed in the game and write all this if it wasn't for the fact that I believe in this game!

Much love,
SandySteve
SandySteve

Re: 4 days of playing - ComPet from a noob perspective

Postby SandySteve » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:31 am

Oh, and one more quite big issue with the current ability system. I frequently "out level" my research, putting me at a disadvantage queing up because I face opponents of my pet level, but with higher ability levels. My only solution to the problem is to stop playing the game and wait for my research to catch up again. I want to play the game, you want me to play the game. Yet, the game discourages me from playing the game.
Freyja|ComPet

Postby Freyja|ComPet » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:51 am

Hi there, I appreciate your effort in pointing up weak points and bringing your vision.
When I'll have a time I'll try to join the discussion regarding each point.
Good job and thanks! :)

Postby Dithart|ComPet » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:20 am

Hello, SandySteve!
I've read your entire post, and forwarded it towards other members of the team. Some of your points are well-known issues for us, and there will be an update in a week or so that'll fix some of them (i.e. there'll be no more frustrating arena quests). However, others need to be approved on different levels.

I promise that all of your points will be discussed, and I'll inform you upon decisions we'll make on them!

Thanks, and keep sharing! Such posts help to define better course of the development, as they can be an argument in a discussion when we make plans for the future!
Dithart,
ComPet Game Development Team.
Mayhem

Postby Mayhem » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 pm

waaaaaahh!!!

You turtlenecked my endurance charges forcing me to read this good post! :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Very nicly put and we will surely get a "diffrent" game soon, good post like this helps the game get guud!

There has been a shitton of good suggestions in this forum and im 100% sure the devs are working hard on getting things together!
SandySteve

Postby SandySteve » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Mayhem wrote:There has been a shitton of good suggestions in this forum and im 100% sure the devs are working hard on getting things together!

So am I! And I tried my best to make it clear that I'm not trying to bash on anyone here. :)

I'm a programmer and know how frustrating it can be to get bashed about stuff like "ITS JUST ONE BUTTON!!!!11 HOW HARD CAN IT BE!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!? ONE BUTTON!!!!" when I need to spend like 2-3 weeks building all the backend shit for that button to actually do what it's supposed to do.

I can't even imagine how hard it is to develop, design and balance a freemium PvP game!

Still, there are a few things where it seems the game is making it harder on the game designers than necessary, like all abilities having 5 levels. It makes an already superrrrr hard task 5 times as hard to accomplish. I understand how much work could be behind changing everything "under the hood" for such a change. But if the game wants to be mainly a balanced PvP game, then it'd be much easier to only have 1 skill level to balance instead of 5.
Mayhem

Postby Mayhem » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:20 pm

SandySteve wrote:
Mayhem wrote:There has been a shitton of good suggestions in this forum and im 100% sure the devs are working hard on getting things together!

So am I! And I tried my best to make it clear that I'm not trying to bash on anyone here. :)

I'm a programmer and know how frustrating it can be to get bashed about stuff like "ITS JUST ONE BUTTON!!!!11 HOW HARD CAN IT BE!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!? ONE BUTTON!!!!" when I need to spend like 2-3 weeks building all the backend shit for that button to actually do what it's supposed to do.

I can't even imagine how hard it is to develop, design and balance a freemium PvP game!

Still, there are a few things where it seems the game is making it harder on the game designers than necessary, like all abilities having 5 levels. It makes an already superrrrr hard task 5 times as hard to accomplish. I understand how much work could be behind changing everything "under the hood" for such a change. But if the game wants to be mainly a balanced PvP game, then it'd be much easier to only have 1 skill level to balance instead of 5.

Yea man i agree, to much flamming and to little brainstorming ;)

About the library i can agree, but i see what the devs are trying, we need to have something to spend diamonds on and progress towards.
I like your idea aswell to have a library where you train pets for abilites, with just 1 "level" to upgrade but you have to unlock the abilites on all pets you want em on and perhaps make it the same timer and diamond "burn". But thats really hard for beginners sence then you would only have 1 bite ability in the start before you upgrade your pets abilites.

As the library is now.
I feel that its more stable and fair atm, you need to raid alot of gold in order to get those upgrades rolling and it takes time (as it should do).

Only diffrence i would like to see in the library UI, i would like it to look more like a spell book in the layout rather than this pale looking library we have today!
Or perhaps a PetSchool look to it.

Well, its just ideas :)
Freyja|ComPet

Postby Freyja|ComPet » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:50 am

Awww, those sweethearts replies <3

Postby Freyja|ComPet » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:53 am

I saw this https://gyazo.com/fed37ebf41a080c6f2bc09f8e7fd0935 and thought it's an smiley that I missed, but doh, it's another bug :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Postby Mayhem » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:28 pm

Freyja|ComPet wrote:I saw this https://gyazo.com/fed37ebf41a080c6f2bc09f8e7fd0935 and thought it's an smiley that I missed, but doh, it's another bug :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

God damn bugs!
Man those towers!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :o

Return to “Feedback & Other”